Wednesday, September 19, 2007

A Recollection on Evelio Javier

Evelio Javier died a long time ago, gunned down with a hail of bullets while hiding in a small and smelly pissing room of a bus station. The case against the killers has whimpered I guess, and the masterminds are still scot free (or have been set free?). Who would know what really happened?

I grew up with Giddy (Gideon) as a friend, but of course we've gone on separate paths. David was so small he wasn't part of our small group. I can still remember how Giddy punched another neighbor friend in the solar plexus and how he turned white when the friend looked like he was going to die!

Precious Javier was a lovely lady who everybody in the neighborhood liked. I remember her as an ever-smiling woman. I have always wondered why she didn't look afraid looking at Giddy whizzing down the hill in a foot-pedaled scooter beside their house.

I'm getting sidetracked here though...

I was reading the suggestion of Exequiel Javier to the Rebels to take advantage of an amnesty offered (to be offered, as not yet approved by congress) by the government and I remembered a time when our carabao (water buffalo) got lost and we have to scour all the fields and hills in Bagumbayan, San Jose, Antique for it. I know we found the animal of burden but we also saw our well-loved governor then, Evelio Javier, talking with some people unfamiliar to us. The barangay was so small that everybody knew everybody, but those people he was with were not locals.

When we were moving away from the area somebody mentioned that the men were "taga-babaw" meaning from-above, a description for the NPA rebels. I didn't really think much of that encounter just that the governor was unafraid to deal with the rebels.

I can't remember now how long ago that was, and the problem still exists! What possible could solve a problem such as the NPA rebellion? I'm just an ordinary man and I can't offer solutions...

Powered by ScribeFire.

No comments:

Google